Thursday, January 1, 2009

Things I Covet: Apple


First post of the new year! I still find it weird that it's 2009, time can fly by so fast.

Now on to the Covet post: Apple
I love electronics and I think they can make lives easier and more entertaining to a certain point. Apple of course is one of the leading companies when it comes to computers, software and music. since the iPod and iTunes media player came out in 2001 and the iTunes online store in 2003 Apple helped change the way people listen to music. Of course we can't forget about their computers either. Apple has grown from the "simple" Apple 1 motherboards to the powerful iMacs and Macbooks of today.

There is a big reason that many people, including myself love Apple products and that is functionality. Now I've only used iPods and iTunes. I haven't had a change to really play around with or own a Apple computer to have a true opinion about their computers but when it comes to the iPod and iTunes I truly love how they work so easily. I think what gives the iPod an edge over the other MP3 players and PMPs (Portable Media Players) in my opinon is the interface of the device. I've used other MP3 players before I got my first iPod but I remember all the time I would think about the iPod and how it's easy to view songs by artists or albums and how the click wheel seemed to be the coolest thing. It made it easier to browse through your lists of music at a faster pace. Now with the iPod touch the iPod has moved into a different category compared to other MP3 players. Now we can surf the internet (if you are in an idea that has open Wi-Fi), play games, watch video and a lot more all while still listening to music!

The iTunes store just made the choice to move to the iPod simpler as well. I used many different online music media stores back in the day including iTunes but also Napster, eMusic, MusicMatch and another store that I can't think of at the moment. Back then all of them had something to offer because when I might have looked at iTunes for a song they wouldn't have it, yet Napster would or vice-versa. When iTunes started to grow though I started to see that more of the songs that I was looking to buy were now also at iTunes, so I didn't have to go to the other online stores. Now iTunes has most of the music I want to download now and is always adding to their library. I still have trouble when it comes to Korean, Japanese, and Brit-pop music but iTunes is improving on that.

The one thing I don't like about Apple though are their prices, yet of course I overlook that because I know the product works and is most likely one of the best products you can get. Is 400 dollars too much for an 32 GB iPod touch or 1,999 for a Macbook pro? Most likely yes, but is that price going to stop me from buying it? Most likely no, it just will slow me down from getting it. That's sort of the Apple magic it has over people. They can have almost whatever price they want, and people will still buy them because they are comfortable with the iPod or the Macbooks/iMacs and I am one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment